Based on an article on Huntingdon Town Info site (http://www.huntingdon-town.info/history/huntingdon_castle.asp)
Castle Hill, Huntingdon, is as the name suggests, the site of a Castle that once stood over the Town. An early castle was probably built around 800 AD. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle recorded a visit of Edward the Elder to Huntingdon in 921 AD where it was thought that he carried out repairs, rebuilding and restoration work of the castle.
The more commonly acknowledged history of Huntingdon’s castle is that attributed to one built by William the Conqueror in 1068, this was more likely to have been a rebuild, or re-fortification of the previous castle.
The featured image above is an artist’s impression of what the Danish castle may have looked like, William the Conqueror’s restoration would probably have included more defensive features and building on stone.
By 1174, the castle was owned by King David of Scotland and was used by his sons in an effort to de-throne Henry II. Henry had other ideas, he laid siege to the castle and after taking it, destroyed it. The land was used as a vineyard during the 13th Century, but eventually was re-fortified by Oliver Cromwell as a site of strategic importance overlooking the main road to the north of the town.
Today, the site houses the Town Beacon and has used for marking national events such as the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations in 2016.